Benefits Of Using A Compounded Medication
Before the mass production of pharmaceuticals, pharmacists prepared medications from scratch through a process called compounding. With a mortar and pestle, they would mix ingredients by hand and create a customized medication to meet each patient’s unique needs.
One Patient's Experience with Compounding
"For more than 10 years, I’ve experienced joint and muscle pain. My pain is so severe that I couldn’t stand living without effective analgesic treatment because almost all physical activity would be impossible.
I found compounded preparations to be very effective in controlling my pain level and safer than prescription drugs available from a retail pharmacy because compounds can be customized.
My pain management physician has prescribed many commercially available analgesics for me, but all of those products have one significant drawback or another, such as producing side effects like constipation or drowsiness, and they are not as effective as the compounds I now use. For example, every manufactured form of oral hydrocodone contains other ingredients, such as acetaminophen, that would be harmful in the daily intake required to manage my severe pain.
My customized medication allows me to be more comfortable day to day, and on a pain scale of 1 to 10, they reduce my pain level from a definite 10 to about a 5. My current pain regimen, which includes compounded preparations, enables me to enjoy activities that are both pleasurable and possible, such as bicycling, and to live a normal life without the limits that severe pain imposes ." -- C.S.
SoBe Apothecary is proud to offer this same centuries-old service today, albeit with high tech, electronic equipment to do the mixing and preparation for us. With your doctor’s approval, our certified compounding pharmacists can create a topical medication specifically for your pain.
Why is a formulation from SoBe Apothecary better than a traditional pharmaceutical medication? The topical application of a custom compounded cream has many advantages, including:
- Delivers relief directly to the source of pain
- Minimizes absorption into the blood stream
- Decreases inflammation
- Quickly provides measurable and identifiable pain relief
- Greater effectiveness and results
- Produces fewer side effects
- Reduces the possibility of adverse drug interactions
- Formulations are non-addictive
- Minimizes oxidative stress
- Reduces organ toxicity
In addition, all medicinal ingredients in our custom formulations are FDA approved. Prescriptions are covered by most commercial insurance plans, and we have a dedicated customer service team available to assist you.
Other Benefits of Compounded Medications
- We maintain an ongoing relationship with you and your doctor. Based on feedback from you, your doctor may instruct us to adjust your formulation to increase its effectiveness. Through continuous communication, we can fine-tune your prescription until you are getting the desired results.
- Some people are allergic to certain inactive ingredients in a medication, such as a preservative or dye. With our specially prepared creams, we can eliminate allergic ingredients.
- For those who have difficulty swallowing pills, capsules or tablets, the topical application of a cream increases the likelihood patients will comply with treatment.
- If you have a hard-to-treat condition that doesn’t respond to off-the-shelf prescriptions, or the strength of the medicine you need is not commercially available, we can customize a formulation just for you.
If you have pain that hasn’t responded to traditional pharmaceuticals or unique health care needs, compounding may be the only satisfactory solution. Call SoBe Apothecary at 866-570-1375 to get the relief you deserve.